Friday, June 3, 2011

Sing it out, boy, you've got to see what tomorrow brings... Sing it out, girl, you've got to be what tomorrow needs

There are two outside groups staying with us right now. One is a group of social work students here for trainings with Ate Aleah (super-cool, world-traveling, adventure-seeking, Stairway psychologist). The other is a choir group from Smokey Mountain in Manila, which is literally a garbage dump. They are a group of kids, mostly girls, ages 10-16 who are clients at a foundation in Manila, and the foundation is holding their summer camp here for a few days.


1) Everyone, including their leaders, who I have quickly become friends with, has amazing voices. So of course, I like them even more, and I am quite jealous!


2) Most of the leaders have gone through the foundation program, and one even came through Stairway at one point. These people are so inspiring and awesome examples for the younger kids to follow.


3) The choir kids are so great! We went swimming this morning and by their request, during my off time I have been participating in some of their activities. Naturally, they all want to be Facebook friends with me and loved pointing at all of my millions of freckles. "What are those called, Ate Meagan?" (asked one referring to my freckles. "Why are you not black?" another asked (black meaning tan, like them).

It amazes me more and more how relevant my research topic on skin whitening really is.


4.)Last night a few of the leaders and I went to the beach. Of course they brought a guitar and we sang a little bit. Of course, the language barrier is definitely there, but they know tons of American songs. The highlight of my night was singing the Star Spangled Banner, I think. (Alexandra Rogozinski, you know how much I love to sing that song!) I also translated a few Spanish songs they knew the words to, but not what they meant. It was funny to see the clarity on their faces when they understood words that they had been singing for years!


I will be sad to see this group leave!