Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way

Long story, but I am currently in the airport on my way to Macau.

Why, you may ask? Well, I had some timing problems with getting a visa for China. I was supposed to go to Beijing yesterday morning but I quite stupidly waited too long to get a visa (aka didn't get one) and it was not going to be processed in time when I got to Manila. Obviously I was stoked about going to Beijing, but I was even more excited because I was supposed to meet up with Meaghan Flood (for those of you not from K-town, the "other Meg" and I have been friends since she moved to Kinnelon in 4th grade, and has been studying in China this past semester.) So I am very bummed that I am not able to see her there.

BUT you have to be flexible if you want to travel. So since I was already in Manila, I decided to just book a flight to wherever had the cheapest ticket. In this case, it was Macau. So that is where I am going. Random, yes, but it will certainly be interesting! (Ironically, Macau is technically part of China-like Hong Kong- however you don't need a visa to enter.)

I have always wanted to just go to the airport and choose a random destination that looks cool, and this is the closest I think I have come to that! :)

As Lars put it in an email to me this morning, "a real journey is not something that you take on, it takes you on."