Monday, June 6, 2011

Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start

Yesterday was a packed day! And it was the start of my actual work that I am doing here!


The morning was super busy as we prepared the last minute things for the general assembly. I printed lots of forms and papers. When we went down to the stage there were already a lot of people sitting on it, ready for the meeting. I sat next to Ate Ami and Ate Mercy on the side as Ate Teena presented a power point, going over the program and reminding people of the program expectations. She is terrific public speaker. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the presentation and they laughed a lot when Teena made jokes. She is a very charismatic person to begin with, so I guess that charisma also translates to her public speaking.


She then introduced me to the group and told them about my project and to be ready for me to come around the town doing surveys. Everyone seemed interested in participating, which was a huge relief to me! It is great to get the ball rolling on all od this so early. Ate Teena has been extremely helpful ever since I got here, and she is so fun to be around as well! I am very grateful to her and happy that she is here.


So next the kids were called up one by one to receive their school supplies.

It was an awesome experience to be able to see all of the families that Stairway helps, and also to talk with a bunch of them. Of course, because I am American and according to them, have "white hair", everyone wants to talk to me. It works well for me because I definitely enjoy the company and being able to share back and forth with new people.


We had lunch and then I was invited to go with Ate Teena, Ate Ami, Ate Susan, and Ate Mercy to the general assembly meeting in San Antonio, an island where more scholars lived. We took a boat from Puerto Galera to San antonio that looked like a two-year old could sink it. Seriously though....and we fit around 13 people in it! Ate Teena was joking that we would all have to share the 1 life vest if we capsized.


The water was particularly beautiful that day, crystal clear. And we could see the ocean floor and the coral almost the entire ride to San Antonio.


After the beach later that afternoon I spotted Ate Carol coming in from snorkeling. She had been away from Stairway since I got here, so this was the first time I saw her. And it was SO good to see her. For those of you that don't know. Ate Carol was one of my favorite people that I met and worked with when I was here last time. She is such an incredibly talented person on many levels and in general, she had a big effect on me. So I was very happy to see her today. And after dinner Annie, Diego, and I went up to her hut where we chatted and jammed a bit. (Ate Carol is a very skilled musician and singer, and has a few cool instruments at her hut.)


Overall it was quite the day!

This week I will be starting myself on a schedule which includes studying for the GRE every day!