Thursday, June 2, 2011

The heat is on!

It's amazing the things we can get used to, and forget that they once bothered us.
Maybe it is a defense mechanism. Maybe it is your mind's way of getting you to do things you have to, but would otherwise be less obliged to do if you remembered the parts that were uncomfortable.

Not that I would not be here had I truly remembered how hot and humid the tropics are, but man, is it steamy here! Maybe I didn't remember it because my body did eventually get used to the heat last time I was here, as I know it will this time as well.

I was initially hit with the reminder of the climate yesterday while waiting in the boat at the Batangas pier. After I landed in Manila. I had ridden 2 hours from Manila to Batangas to catch a boat to White Beach, which was meant to leave at 2:45. So naturally, we left the dock at approximately 3:49 pm, after an hour's reminder of the stifling climate, not to mention a full 35 hours since I left my house in New Jersey. The boat ride took a little longer than usual due to the fact that in this relatively small watercraft was being transported a small appliance store's selection of washer and dryer machines, which needed to be unloaded in Puerto. Just before Puerto, we encountered a storm, which resulted in my getting off the boat in Puerto, after the appliance store was unloaded, and hopping on a jeepney the rest of the way to Stairway. Welcome to the Philippines!!!

It was so great to walk through the gates at Stairway again. Honestly, I couldn't believe it had been 2 years since I had been here. There have been some HUGE changes made here though, including the construction of a new stage as well as a new house for guests, the Orange House, where I am staying.

It is so nice to see all the familiar faces that are here, as well as to meet the new ones. The new batch of kids is arriving June 15. Today I am looking forward to a few meetings to figure out how exactly I am going to do my research project!