Sunday, January 3, 2010

I woke up today in London, as the plane was touching down

After an interesting day of travel, I landed in London at about 7:30am local time, which is about 2:30am at home.

The trip all started out on Saturday morning when I woke up, put the last few things in my suitcase, and got ready to run to pick up a few unnecessary things at the store. My flight from Newark to DC was scheduled for 3:30pm, so I figured that I should print out my boarding pass. But much to my dismay, when I went to check my email to check in online, I found another message from Continental, kindly informing me at 9:00am that my afternoon flight would be rescheduled for Sunday at 9:00pm. This obviously presented a problem because I had a flight out of DC at 7:00pm on Saturday night- one that I needed to be on along with my professors and classmates!

After expressing my feelings (in British fashion of course) with a few choice words that I will not include in this post, I actually remained pretty calm about that fact that there was an enormous chance that I would be missing my flight to London and probably enduring a rather large, stress-induced headache if I did not act quickly. So I called a friend on my trip, Margeaux, who was driving down to DC. She lives about 30 minutes from me, and thankfully, I caught her just as she was about to pull out of her driveway. My dad speedily, yet safely, drove me to meet her and though a bit frazzled due to the events of the past 45 minutes, I was on my way to catch my flight to London!


After a sometimes turbulent, yet relatively short flight (compared to what I got used to this summer) of 7 hours, we arrived safely at Heathrow Airport. Exhausted, we all jumped on our tour bus to give us an orientation to the city in which we will be living for the next three weeks. I don't have much time now, but I will say that the architecture is beautiful- the buildings and streets are so clean and ornate. Then we checked into our hotel and my roomate, Katina, and I did a little exploring around the neighborhood before taking a much needed nap, which was followed by more exploring and dinner at night.

Now I am off to sleep before my first day of "class" tomorrow.