Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Every day create your history. Every page you turn you're writing your legacy.

We've had a pretty busy and another cold beginning to this week. Monday we had class, my dentist visit, and then a tour of Westminster Abbey. Westminster Abbey was beautiful. I am still trying to figure out how the people back in the medieval times were able to build such magnificent structures. The high arches and tall columns in this building were so intense. And everything in the abbey was elaborately decorated with either paint or sculpture of some sort. We were shown around by a new tour guide, Abigail, who had many fun and quirky stories to tell us about Westminster Abbey's history, and about the history of England in general.

On Wednesday we woke up to snow again, but still had our East End tour that had been rescheduled from the last snow day. This was one of my favorite days even though my feet were frozen solid and hurt from wearing my cold rain boots. I had decided to go with dryness over warmth...poor choice.

But we had an interesting tour of a different side of London, and I enjoyed it very much. We walked down Brick Lane again, and in and out of side streets learning the history of the East Side and how it has changed from being the Jewish East Side to being more of a "Bengal-town" as they now call it. The colorful storefronts advertising curry, shisha pipes, and fabrics were a chromatic contrast to the bleak and grey weather.

Wednesday night two friends and I went to see the OK Go concert which was a blast! Great music and a fun show overall. This week is flying by and I am trying to savor every day of being here in London.