Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Me and Julio down by the schoolyard

This week was my first teaching at LISI. I taught Monday-Wednesday because we are going to Antigua tomorrow for a long weekend! I have to wake up early for school…5:45 every morning! I have to be at the school at 6:45. And generally I find it necessary to stop at Liza's house (which is right next to my school) to jump on her bed at around 6:32 each morning.

At LISI, there are three grades….4th, 5th, and 6th, and I am with the 4th and 5th grade for only 30 minutes each day, and with 6th grade for 90 minutes each day. I am supposed to be teaching English, but the school’s idea of teaching English and my idea of it are two different things! I am supposed to read from an English for Business textbook that does not have correct English grammar and do a lot of practice with pronunciation with the girls.

I am looking forward to being creative with the classes and with my time that I have with each class of 20 girls. I memorized almost all of their names this week, which was quite the feat!