Saturday, June 26, 2010

Are you going to Scarborough fair?

Well I didn't go to Scarborough fair, but I did go to the one in San Juan!

This week was the San Juan Ferria (or the fair in San Juan la Laguna). Each pueblo has their own patron saint an ours is Saint John the Baptist. The ferria is a huge party/celebration full of concerts, street vendors, special foods, decorations, dancing, and of course, lots of pasear-ing! (The verb pasear is used to describe walking around town with your friends.) There is also a huge ferris wheel that we rode on numerous times!

The ferria takes over the entire town for about a week. Classes are cancelled, people dress up and everyone enjoys themselves. (Sometimes the men enjoy themselves too much and drink until they are passed out on the street.)

Because my house is on a main street, I could just barely squeeze into the alley that leads to my courtyard because of all the vendeors that were in front of my house. The vendors also loved to play horrible mariachi music from 5am through the day and night until 2am the next morning every night. And they also liked to put their speakers right outside my door so I could hear every note, including the occasional Michael Jackson or Avril Lavigne tune they would play. Needless to say, I will need to catch up on my sleep soon!

But overall the ferria was a blast! It was great to experience this part of the community. We were so lucky to be there.