Sunday, June 6, 2010

I'm on a boat everybody, take a look at me

Saturday I went kayaking on the lake! Scheduled to be in our kayaks at 10am, Liza, Katina, Elena, Tito, Clarita, and I finally got to the muelle at 11:30! This is becoming very normal. We rented three kayaks and set sail for las Cristalinas, a beach of rocks near the pueblo of San Marcos. It took us about an hour to get there because Elena and Tito were having some trouble getting the hang of paddling!

We got to the beach and were the only ones there. We played Left Right Center (which is very difficult when you are playing in Spanish, because the game is in English…and I have trouble knowing left from right anyway.) Then Liza and I started reading Barefoot, a book that a random lady in Pana gave us the other day.

When it came time to leave, we figured we would switch up the kayak partners so that it would take less time getting across. So we split up the two novices and somehow, Liza and I ended up in a one-person kayak with only one paddle. So there we were, after helping to push off the other two boats, trying to make our way across the lake. I was in back, my right hand acting as a rudder and my left a paddle, and Liza sat in front of me to paddle. Of course, this would not be my life if Xocomil, the name of the strong afternoon wind that blows across the lake every day, was not in full force. So of course, it was, and we fought Xocomil the entire way back to San Juan. We have some fun stories about that voyage. And also a pretty rough sunburn to prove it!

When I got back to my house, Clarita and I looked at the photos we took and sang Miley Cyrus songs…I spend the rest of the night translating them for her! Haha.

Today we woke up and went to mass...I finally found out what all the bombas were for...every time the priest says mass, they set off bombs/fireworks...usually during Communion.