Friday, July 16, 2010

Traveling I always stop at exits, wondering if I'll stay

This is my last weekend in Guatemala and I can’t believe it. Today (Friday) we said goodbye to our families, which was heartbreaking. After living in this tiny pueblo for the past 7 weeks, I really felt at home there, and I felt like a part of the community.

Friday morning I went to school to say goodbye to my students. They gave me a beautiful scarf and countless letters, thanking me for the time I spent with them and asking that I would not forget them, as if that is even possible.

Then it was time to head down to the dock. I walked down with two of my host aunts and my host cousin, Clarita. We met up with Liza and her family on the way down…it felt like the longest walk of my life. After saying goodbye through teary smiles, thanking our families for everything, we got on our last lancha across the lake and headed over to Pana to meet up with the rest of our group for a celebratory luncheon. Appropriately, we got on the local lancha, and stopped at all of the towns on one side of the lake, reminiscing and remembering our favorite parts of the past 7 weeks.

After lunch, Liza and I met up with Caitlin, the third leg to our Guatemalan tripod, who came to Pana to play with us one last time. We did some last minute shopping and one last round of mojitos at our favorite little place. We leave for Guatemala City at 6am tomorrow morning and Liza and I will be staying with Sofi for the weekend!