Sunday, July 4, 2010

It's the freakin weekend baby I'm about to have me some fun

This weekend was a blast! Friday Liza and I headed over to Cerro de Oro to visit Caitlin and to spend the night at her house! We took a lancha from San Juan to Santiago then a pickup to Cerro. She has a great house and a beautiful room that has a view of the entire lake. (She lives with the most wealthy family in the town.) Her family was so sweet to us and gave us lots of snacks from their tienda that they run out of the bottom of their home.

The three of us had big plans for the night but ended up falling asleep while watching a movie! All in all it was a really fun night and as always, it was great to play with Caitlin!

Saturday we headed back over to Santiago and had a tour of Panabaj, an area of town that was devastated by a landslide a few years ago. It has still not been rebuilt and I have only seen a few situations worse than that in my travels. It was heart-stopping to see the tattered USAID signs and mostly deserted area. It was like a ghost town.

From there Liza and I headed to Panajachel for the night. We met up with Mary and the three of us got a hostel for the night. We went to a salsa competition that we were invited to by our salsa instructor and watched a bunch of people dancing. It was a spicy salsa dancing night!

Then this morning we got together with the whole group and headed out to Chichicastenango for market day! I bought a bunch of stuff and haggled for amazing prices. I got a beautiful bedspread for only 200 quetzales! They originally wanted 600! My friends take me with them to shop now :)