Friday, May 15, 2009

Preparation

Professional Preparation

Over the course of the past couple of months, I have undertaken extensive preparation to ready myself for this trip. My coursework during my first year at Elon has been perfectly relevant to the work I will be doing in the Philippines. Currently I am a double major in Human Services and Strategic Communications. In the field of Human Services this year I took Introduction to Human Services, International Human Services, and Counseling Individuals and Families. These classes have helped me to understand how to help people effectively and sustainably and how to ask good questions.

In the field of Communications I took a Communications in a Global Age and one of my favorite classes, Digital Media, a course where I learned techniques of creating visually appealing media. I learned to develop on my existing skills of photography, writing, and web design, all of which will be useful for the projects Stairway wants me to work on. In addition to refining these skills, I learned to use the video editing software “Final Cut Pro,” a skill that will help me create the best documentary possible for Stairway. This summer opportunity will help me to further integrate my two majors- at first glance they might seem completely opposite, but for me they are working hand in hand. This summer I will be able to see how I can use Communications skills in a Human Services context.


Health and Safety Preparation

I know that everyone is going to have some questions about my health and safety while I am away this summer. I am fully aware of the health concerns that come alongside international travel and service. I have been to the Duke Travel Clinic and have received all of the necessary vaccinations and medications. During my stay in the Philippines, I will be on Malarone, a prescription medication to prevent Malaria. I also have antibiotics that I will be bringing with me in case of food poisoning. (Though I will be following all recommended eating guidelines and will hopefully not have to use those at all!) In the event of emergency, Stairway is five minutes away from a basic 24-hour clinic, and in the event that serious care is required, there is a quality hospital in Manila just 1.5 hours away. I have travel health insurance, so getting back to the United States will not be a problem if I should become ill. The Philippines is a relatively sanitary and medically safe country – there are requisite vaccinations, but beyond those, I am not likely to come into contact with something particularly harmful.

As is the nature of any international service project there are safety concerns that must be addressed. As the Stairway Foundation is situated on the coast of a remote island, its physical location presents few if any safety concerns. Though some islands of the Philippines have been identified as “terrorist watch sites,” these islands are located EXTREMELY far south of Mindoro on an island called Mindanao. (Conflicts organized by the New People’s Army have historically been isolated to this region and have never targeted foreigners.)

I have registered my stay in the Philippines with the United States Embassy in Manila. I will also have access to WiFi internet, and will have access to cell phone use.

All the staff members with whom I have spoken at Stairway are very aware of the safety concerns that I could face as an international student. They are used to having students come from the United States and from Europe and have not had any problems. I know that with the considerations mentioned above, I can remain safe and healthy during my summer.