Monday, June 15, 2009

Anything you can do, I can do better

Since coming to the Philippines, we have unanimously decided that Filipinos are essentially good at everything. Even in the things we thought we were pretty well versed in, our Filipino comrades have proven themselves, though humbly, more superior. For example:

Our expedition with our very own professional jungle trekkers
If you would have asked me yesterday if a was an outdoorsy person, I would have said yes, of course- I enjoy hiking, camping, white water rafting, snowboarding and being just outside in general- and have had lots of experience in the great outdoors. But since coming to the Philippines almost everything I thought I knew about myself has been challenged, and our hike- or should I say mountain trek- was no exception.

We set out with Ate Ami and Kuya Tonio on Sunday morning right after breakfast on a hike to a place called Aninuan Falls. When within the first five minutes Ate Ami, a very petite yet feisty woman, had us scaling a steep rocky incline, navigating through a shoulder-high grass field and getting attacked by monstrous, pinching red ants in the jungle that cling to your body until you rip them out of your skin to release their death grip, I knew this would be one of the most difficult “walks” (as Ate Ami called it) of my life. It was a challenging hike (for those non-Filipinos of us) but it was a beautiful one. As the peaks got higher and the terrain more difficult, the panoramic views spanning from the lush, green mountain to the turquoise-blue ocean became nothing short of breathtaking.

When we arrived at the falls we were relieved to find a large, refreshing and cold pool below a strong waterfall- the perfect oasis after our two and half hour excursion through the jungle, in the heat, over mountain tops, and past lots of cows. We ordered coconut juice and wondered where the cooler was until we saw the guy chopping open the coconut with a machete. As you can probably imagine we took a nice long nap after returning to Stairway. Tonio went kayaking.

White Beach wall-climbing wonders
The other day we went on an unexpected adventure. A simple walk to white beach with Lexter and Diego turned into yet another rock climbing escapade (Adding to the fun was the fact that I was wearing a dress and flip flops.) We walked to the end of White Beach, marked by huge rocks that jet out into the ocean from the mountain. We climbed up the very vertical formation using roots and vines too pull ourselves up. The rocks were very sharp, and though we were struggling with flip-flops on, Diego seemed to have no problem prancing across the ridged surfaces barefoot- again making us aware of how lame we are compared to the natives here! After taking in the striking view we climbed down the other side towards more rocks that we climbed, and watched the sunset as the tide came in and the waves crashed against the giant rock structures. Unfortunately we did not have our cameras to capture this awesome find, but we intend to go back before we leave the Philippines.

Other examples of Filipino awesomeness

Everyone here looks much younger than they are. For example, Ate Carol, a vivacious, adventurous woman who has been working with us on the campaign and chilling us in our spare time (taking us snorkeling, to a cool music place called Coco Aroma on the beach, etc) looks no older than 29 years old. She is in a band (and is actually a celebrity here in the Philippines!) We found out the other day that she is 38. When she told us that- my mouth literally dropped wide open and I was speechless for 30 seconds or so. Not that I think 38 is old, but she just looks so much like she is in her 20s! I hope that I can age as gracefully as she is- particularly the way her spirit has. During the time I have spent with her and the conversations we have had thus far, I think she is an awesome woman with great faith, a serene personality and a kind heart. I am so glad to be working with her this summer.

Flips are very popular with the kids here on the island. Back flips, front flips, handstands…they do everything. Lexter and Jao teach the Stairway kids how to flip also. They have been trying to teach us since we got here, but with little luck. And of course, some of the Stairway kids, who have been here a few days, are already flipping! It is crazy! Everyone is just so athletic here, and picks everything up so quickly!

Musical talent- so I thought I was pretty musical. I have been playing the piano since I was 5, I can play the clarinet, some sax, and a little guitar. But nope, the Filipinos put me to shame again. Everyone here can just pick up the guitar and start strumming to any American song- no lessons, no sheet music… they just teach themselves. AND they all can sing! Johnny is an awesome rapper. And Ate Susan has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard!

It has become a bit of a joke among the four of us Americans each time we see another feat accomplished by one of our friends here. But it is really fun to see what other people can do, and how sometimes they go about things differently than we would and I am learning so much from them.